The Forney Mercantile Co. at the corner of S. Bois d’Arc and Main streets occupied one of the oldest commercial buildings in Forney and offered a dry goods store in front and a grocery store in back. It was built in 1895 and the neighboring building in 1901. The two buildings were operating as a hardware store and funeral home respectively when the Forney Historic Preservation League began renovations to create the new Spellman Museum of Forney History. We combined the two buildings to provide one large space measuring approximately 6000 square feet. During renovation we restored and removed plaster from original brick, recreated original awnings and storefronts including an inset main door, and installed period-appropriate beadboard and tin ceilings.
Work continues on construction of the exhibits. We expect the museum to open in 2016.